We pledge to comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap 486, Laws of Hong Kong) ("PD(P)O"). In doing so, we will take reasonably practicable steps to ensure compliance of the PD(P)O by all our staff members with the required standards of security and confidentiality.
Information Collection and Use
We may collect personal information ("Personal Data") relating to you when you make enquiries or complaints, submit applications to the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC), attend our functions or communicate with us. If the necessary Personal Data is not provided, we may be unable to process your enquiries, complaints or to provide or continue to provide services to you.
We may use your Personal Data for any of the following purposes from time to time:
- handling and following-up on your enquiries and complaints;
- carrying out any of our statutory functions;
- improving and monitoring of our services to meet the needs of our service users;
- conducting research for service improvements;
- notifying the EOC insurer in relation to a claim or defending a claim which you are involved as a party;
- sending you information and materials regarding our other services (subject to your consent);
- complying with any laws, regulations or guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities;
- any other purposes agreed by you; and
- purposes relating to any of the above.
Data Security and Disclosure
We keep all Personal Data confidential but may disclose or transfer the Personal Data to the following categories of persons (whether within or outside Hong Kong) for the purposes set out above:
- any relevant parties in relation to your complaint(s), enquir(ies), application(s) and request(s) for the services provided by the EOC;
- legal advisers and other professional advisers engaged by us; such as research consultants and agents;
- persons to whom we are under any obligations or requirements to disclose Personal Data by any laws, regulations or guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities or law enforcement agency, or by any court or judicial body; and/or
- persons to whom we are required to disclose personal data by any policies and measures implemented by us for prevention or detection of any unlawful activities or suspicious activities.
Links to Other Websites
We provide hyperlinks to other websites for your convenience. Please note that this Statement only applies to our website and does not apply to other websites.
Access and Correction of Personal Data
Under the PD(P)O, generally, an individual has the right to request access to his Personal Data and require us to correct any of his/her incorrect Personal Data. Any request for access to Personal Data and correction should be made in writing to the Equal Opportunities Commission, 16/F, 41 Heung Yip Road, Wong Chuk Hang, Hong Kong and addressing to any of the following personnel:
- Director (Complaint Services) or the Chief Legal Counsel in respect of personal data held by either of them in their respective areas of work;
- Director, Corporate Planning and Services in respect of personal data held in all other records.
For details, please visit our 'Privacy and Data Protection Policy and Practices’'.
We have the right to charge a fee for the processing of any data access request.
This Statement is written in English language and translated into Chinese and nine EM languages. If there is any discrepancy or conflict between the English and other versions, the English version shall prevail.
Revised in October 2021